Wednesday 17 October 2007

Escape From Captivity

Well, you learn something new every day. Especially when you're locked up in quarantine in a university building. Without, for bullshit reasons, internet or phone connections.

The new thing I learnt on Tuesday the ninth of October was that if the Department of Health can get the agreement of the Department of Defense, you can find yourself in a sealed, quarantined, room VERY rapidly. With absolutely no explanation given.

The new thing I learnt on the 10th was that, unlike prisoners, quarantined persons do not have the right to contact the outside world.

The new thing I learnt on the 11th was that my late friend Talatu is now known as Patient Zero.

The new thing I learnt on the 12th was that, while the disease (which they referred to as Darkpox) has an incubation period of several weeks* it can be tested for after just one.

The new thing I learnt on the 13th was that the whir of a fan in the ventilation system can be extremely worrying when you know that even outside the room you're in, there's a building full of people who may be infected with a horrifying disease.**

The new thing I learnt on the 14th was a rather interesting explanation of string theory. But I won't go into that here, it'd take too long, and nothing seemed that relevant honestly.

The new thing I learnt on the 15th was that needles and exams make a scary combination. When you add in life-or-death situations, there will be panic attacks.

The new thing I learnt on the 16th was an odd take on the nature of infinity in mathematics and physics, concentrating on the differences between zero and an infintesimal.

The new thing I learnt on the 17th was that I probably wasn't going to die just yet, but one of those I'd been boarded with might be. He was taken out for further testing, and we were all seperated.

The new things I learnt today are: I'm not infected AND lying in a room with nothing to do can be extremely exhausting at times.

I'm going to sleep.



*Which may explain the idea of an "infectious vaccine". The people being given it were already infected, and the vaccine simply triggered the effect.
**I very rapidly blanked out the possibility that I might be an infectee. There's paranoia and then there's just plain depression.

No comments: